• Provide effective planning and implementation of services, policies, and regulations through efficient use of
facilities and personnel while providing a safe, convenient and efficient transportation, parks and stormwater
management system available to all and at a minimum detriment to the environment.
Statement of Function:
The County Engineering Division, which includes secondary roads, provides design and surveying services for
improvements and maintenance to roadways, sidewalks, parks, recreation facilities and drainage systems in
Indian River County. The Division oversees and administers private development permitting according to the
Land Development Regulations of the County and provides engineering services for other projects and
Departments. Some specific duties involve identifying and establishing boundaries of County-owned
properties; furnishing details as to topography and unique features of properties that may affect future
improvements and locating underground utilities. Additional functions include performing residential plan
reviews, issuing right-of-way permits for residences and site plans and performing right-of-way and utility
2014/2015 Goals and Objectives
• Provide development review services that meet the desired time frame established in the land development
• Continue to automate operations through the use of computer and communications equipment to help
provide engineering services to other departments (i.e. Parks and Utilities).
• Increase the number of projects finished by the design and survey sections, recognizing that the complexity
of projects will affect the number completed.
• Pursue needed right-of-way acquisition through the most cost-effective means available
In support of the National Flood Insurance Program, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
has undertaken an effort of flood hazard identification
and mapping to update Flood Insurance Rate Maps
for Indian River County. IRC FEMA Map Modernization Program