Planning and Zoning Commission
The Planning and Zoning Commission considers matters relating to land use and zoning, including land development regulations, ordinances, and amendments to land development regulations, amendments to the Indian River County Comprehensive Plan, rezoning requests and applications for preliminary plat and site plan approval. More details about the duties and responsibilities of PZC members.
Relevant Resolutions, Ordinances, and Statutes
- Ordinance 2005-023 approved July 19, 2005, amending IRC Code Section 103.03.1 "Planning and Zoning Commission" to provide each Commissioner with the ability to appoint one member and requiring that member to reside in the same district as the Commissioner.
- Ordinance 2003-036 approved December 2, 2004, provides for seven (7) members plus a school board representative designated and approved by the school board who shall be a non-voting member of the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Ordinance # 1990-20 approved September 18, 1990, amended IRC Code Section 103.02 "Unless specified otherwise, the regular term of office shall be four (4) years. Members may serve until their successors are appointed."
- Ordinance 1986-47 approved July 16, 1986, enlarged the membership and changed the name to Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Resolution 1974-8 approved April 15, 1974, added Section 26-Fees.
- Ordinance 1973-4 approved February 21, 1973, amended Ordinance 1971-3, added Section 29-Administrative Provision, Paragraph (C) Zoning Commission.
- Ordinance 1971-3 approved September 8, 1971, created the Indian River County Zoning Ordinance and established the Indian River County Zoning Commission and authority.
Terms, Meetings, and Membership
The term of office for each member shall be four (4) years. Indian River County residency is required. There is no term limitation. Meetings are held on the second (2nd) and fourth (4th) Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the County Administration Building A, 1801 27th Street, Vero Beach Florida in the Commission Chambers.
Note: Per chapter 2000-243, Laws of Florida, new board members are required to complete a limited financial disclosure (Form 1), and upon leaving, must file a final disclosure statement within 60 days.
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall be comprised of seven (7) voting members; and one (1) non-voting member from the School District Board. Five (5) members appointed by each of the County Commissioners to represent their district and two (2) Members-at-Large. Four voting members shall constitute a quorum. The following are the categories of the P & Z member positions:
- 1. One (1) BCC Appointee - District 1
- 2. One (1) BCC Appointee - District 2
- 3. One (1) BCC Appointee - District 3
- 4. One (1) BCC Appointee - District 4
- 5. One (1) BCC Appointee - District 5
- 6-7. Two (2) Members at Large
- 8. Alternate
- 1. Beth Mitchell – Adams/District 1.
- 2. Alan Polackwich – Flescher/District 2.
- 3. Curtis Carpenter, Jr. – Earman/District 3.
- 4. Jonathan F. Day – O'Bryan/District 4.
- 5. Mark Mucher – Moss/District 5.
- 6. Jordan B. Stewart – Member-at-Large.
- 7. Todd Brognano – Member-at-Large.
- 8. Kenneth A. "Chip" Landers - Alternate.
- Teri Barenborg – School Board of Indian River County.
- Dr. Mara Schiff - School Board of Indian River County Alternate.