Tourist Development Council
The Tourist Development Council prepares and submits to the Board of County Commissioners a plan for tourist development. More details about the duties and responsibilities of TDC members.
Relevant Resolutions, Ordinances, and Statutes
- Resolution 1992-57 approved April 7, 1992, approved the first amendment to agreement designating the Chamber of Commerce as the Official County Tourist Bureau (amended Resolution 1989-9 approved January 17, 1989).
- Ordinance 1990-20, approved September 18, 1990, established Chapter 103- Commissions and Boards, and codified the Tourist Development Council.
- Resolution 1989-9 approved January 17, 1989, designated the Chamber of Commerce as the Official County Tourist Bureau.
- Ordinance 1987-11 approved January 27, 1987, called for a referendum, appointed membership, established taxing district and tourist development tax.
- Resolution 1986-102 approved November 18, 1986, indicated intention to consider enactment of an ordinance imposing a tourist development tax, appointing the membership, the purpose and establishing the Tourist Development Council.
- Section 125.0104(4), Florida Statutes, establishes Tourist Development Council.
Terms, Meetings, and Membership
The term of office for each member shall be four (4) years. There are no term limitations. Meetings are held quarterly at the County Administration Building A, 1801 27th Street, Vero Beach, FL in Conference Room A1-102. The Recording Secretary is Ed Offutt, Commissioner Assistant.
The Tourist Development Council shall be composed of nine (9) voting members. Six (6) of the voting members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. Two voting members are appointed by their appropriate municipalities. One member is a County Commissioner. The following are the categories of the TDC member positions:
1-3. Three (3) Owners or operators of motels, hotels, recreational vehicle parks or other tourist accommodations.
4-6. Three (3) Persons who are involved in the tourist industry and who have demonstrated an interest in tourist development, but who are not owners or operators of motels, hotels, recreational vehicle parks, or other tourist accommodations.
7-8. Two (2) Municipal Officers.
9. One (1) County Commissioner
- Jennifer Bates – Owner/Operator Tourist Accommodations
- Keith Kite – Owner/Operator Tourist Accommodations
- Steve Hayes – Interested in Tourist Development
- Karen Mechling – Interested in Tourist Development
- Amanda Smalley – Interested in Tourist Development
- Will Collins – Owner/Operator Tourist Accommodations
- Christopher Nunn, Councilmember - Municipal Officer City of Sebastian
- Richard Winger – Municipal Officer City of Vero Beach
- Joseph E. Flescher - County Commissioner - Chairman